Friday, April 8, 2011

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing - Helen Keller

Day 1 continued.....
Location: Burlington International Airport
Destinations: Montpelier (VT), White River Junction (VT), Boston (MA) en route to Las Vegas

2.00pm – Pay a visit to the washroom and am momentarily shocked when I hear the theme music from The Godfather start playing in the cubicle next to mine. I relax when I realize it’s simply someone’s cell/mobile phone. Seriously what is going on with this murderous theme and who the hell has The Godfather as their ring tone?!

2.10pm – Lunch time at the airport cafe where the prices are quite reasonable unlike most airports – I soon discover why. My Greek salad complete with tinned and tasteless artichokes is interrupted by a military jet screaming past the window. I seem to have forgotten that Burlington Airport is also the home of the Vermont Air National Guard Base. The woman in tight jeans and knee high boots (you know the type) sitting near me has not and presses her entire body against the glass. Love I’m pretty sure they can’t see you.

2.20pm - Burlington Airport's restaurant wins my first prize of the trip for their menu - I love how airports in particular thrive on air puns. Passport to great food & company......time will tell.

3.07pm – The man beside me sneezes and then apologizes. He fails to apologize for taking his shoes off and placing his sweaty sock clad feet on public property. I think fatigue is setting in.


5.50pm – There are cars parked in the bus zone. Hope the bus comes soon – nothing makes a bus driver happier than a blocked bay.

6.30pm – No sign of the bus. People begin to pace back and forth anxiously.

6.40pm – Still no sign of the bus and worse still there are NO cars blocking the bay, reducing the potential for comedy altercations.

6.49pm – Finally the bus arrives and we leave. I can’t quite believe I left Rutland at 5.30am and won’t be in Boston till after 11pm – I could have driven there and back and then back again in the same timeframe, however my lack of vehicle and desire to drive in Boston quashed that possibility early.

7.00pm – I never knew one could make so much noise eating an apple. The guy behind me has quite a set of chompers.

8pm – I’m amused by the guy seated in front of me as he attempts to arrange a taxi from White River Junction to Hanover. He’s said Hanover four times in 2 minutes but the dispatcher doesn’t understand his accent. I’ve so been there.

8.05pm – My amusement quickly dissipates as the apple muncher declares something is burning. I smell no smoke and see no flames. In fact the only thing burning are my eyes which are scalded by the light he’s repositioned over my head whilst investigating his imaginary fire.

8.40pm – We arrive in White River Junction where the driver gives us a generous 13 minutes to eat, smoke and pee – he doesn’t use those words but that's the implication. One of the dining choices is China Moon Buffet, sparking flashbacks to a horrific bus trip to Niagara Falls.

I decide to stay on the bus as I don’t smoke, don’t need to eat and don’t think there’s any way in hell all the ladies on the bus will be able to get in and out of the bathroom in 13 minutes.

Life may be one daring adventure or nothing but I don't need the adventure where I miss the bus on the first leg of the journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment